Siobhan Q.
“ Did the other applicants have previous experience working for the NHS or within the health industry? ”

Siobhan Q. asked a question
during the live chat Q&A Session 1 - The education and development opportunities on the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme
to NHS Recruitment Team

16/01/2014
6 Live chat
hello! did you/ did the other successful applicants have previous experience working for the NHS or within the healthcare sector?
16/01/2014
HR Business Partner, Midlands And Lancashire CSU

Hi Sioban - welcome to the chat :) - I have no NHS experience and previously did a degree in Geography so was all very new to me - what have you applied for?

16/01/2014
Siobhan Q.

Thanks for your response! I have applied for the General Management Scheme and wondered whether it was difficult (especially perhaps to begin with) being in an environment with lots of new terms and vocabulary?

16/01/2014
NHS Graduate Management Trainee - Finance, Wrightington, Wigan And Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

Hi Siobhan, Unlike Lily, I have a healthcare background as I am a physiotherapist by qualification however this does not matter as you get a brilliant induction to both the NHS in general, your role and your host trust, :)

16/01/2014
NHS Graduate Management Trainee - Finance, Wrightington, Wigan And Leigh NHS Foundation Trust

I am a finance trainee so I am probably exposed to more jargon than anyone however you learn very quickly that in the NHS there is an acronym for everything so I think it is important that you clarify what they are as they arise to save you getting into a muddle at a later date. Does that help!?

16/01/2014
Siobhan Q.

Thank you Debbi - yes that does! I think that making sure you understand everything as you go along is probably the key, especially with balancing working and studying for the post-graduate qualification. Is maintaining a balance between the two difficult?

22/01/2014

Yes definitely, no question is a daft question and I fully believe it's important to clarify things when they arise. Balance is key to ensuring that you perform across all of the scheme requirements and you will find it harder at certain times than others to maintain this balance. I think as long as you prioritise and organise your time, the post graduate qualification provides a really good opportunity to broaden your knowledge and experiences.

Add to this thread

NHS

Whatever your future leadership ambitions are, the NHS offers a fantastic start with a variety of challenging placements in an organisation that is wholeheartedly determined to provide equal opportunities to all employees. Selection for the scheme is based solely on aptitude and ability to ensure we have the best leaders for the NHS.

Visit website