“ With the HR Graduate Scheme, what kinds of things would make an applicant 'get ahead'? ”

Hannah O. asked a question
during the live chat Q&A Session 2 - The education and development opportunities on the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme
to NHS Recruitment Team

16/01/2014
17 Live chat
Hi Lilly - with the HR Graduate Scheme, what kinds of things would make an applicant 'get ahead' e.g. is NHS knowledge particularly helpful, or is it more based on your personality and work ethic?
16/01/2014
HR Business Partner, Midlands And Lancashire CSU

Hi Hannah :) - NHS knowledge is useful, I would suggest starting to have a look at news articles to get a wider understanding also read some key reports. Personality and work ethic do play a part as well so just be yourself

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

Thanks! Also what's a typical day like for you, what sort of things do you do?

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

Also what are the opportunities like once the programme has finished?

16/01/2014

currently I am Business Partner for Culture and Employee Engagement, So if I take my day today I had a meeting with Head of Communications discussing how to promote NHS Change day within the Trust, then met with the Chief Operating Officer for a mentoring session, then met the staff side rep to get her support on an engagement event that I wanted to set up. Followed by a meeting with my Managing Director to pitch my recommendations for a strategic framework on how to improve engagement and meet key objectives could be met and how I was going to do that

16/01/2014

Opportunities once you leave the scheme are good, you get a wide experience on the scheme

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

do you find that people are generally quite keen to offer support for events you want to set up, or is it a fairly big battle to get people onside?

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

& did you get your first choice when it came to locating you?

16/01/2014

Hannah good question - I think you need to do your research and make sure that the event you want to set up will benefit staff who are there and achieve the outcome you wish for it. If you have those in mind when pitching for support most will be keen to support you

16/01/2014

and with location I did get my first choice

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

is the grad scheme a 9-5 5 days a week for you? or are there things you do in the meantime?

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

is having no HR-background a prejudice at all?

16/01/2014

Your working hours will depend on what suits the organisation for you to work, some departments have different working times other than 9-5 but currently yes my contracted hours are 9-5

16/01/2014

you get time out from work to go to lectures but if it is not a scheme event then you will be in work for the rest of the time gaining experience - I had no HR background prior to joining the scheme so it is not a negative point by all means

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

how is the learning structured, do you have a lot of contact hours?

16/01/2014

I can only comment on what I have experienced but lectures are in Leeds at the moment and they can be long days to make sure enough detail is provided. However, what is great is that you are there with the other HR grads and so you make great friends quickly

16/01/2014
Hannah O.

what was it that made you pick the HR scheme over the others?

16/01/2014

i am quite a people person and liked the development that HR has taken over the years. I also wanted to specialize in something that would challenge me and I would be faced with a different issue everyday - HR fitted the bill :)

Add to this thread

NHS

Whatever your future leadership ambitions are, the NHS offers a fantastic start with a variety of challenging placements in an organisation that is wholeheartedly determined to provide equal opportunities to all employees. Selection for the scheme is based solely on aptitude and ability to ensure we have the best leaders for the NHS.

Visit website