Emma L.
“ What does an average day look like for you? how many hrs a week do you study? Biggest challenges and most rewarding? ”

Emma L. asked a question in topic Life at the Company
to Tom W. NHS Graduate Management Trainee – HR, NHS

on 18/05/2016
See my linked in for background: Emma Littlefair - moving from University Advisor for Healthcare into HR NHS hopefully!
on 18/05/2016
NHS Graduate Management Trainee – HR, NHS

Hi Emma! Thanks for your questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

It's a bit of a cliche so I apologise but 'no day is the same'. It entirely depends on what placement you get. My first was as an operational HR Manager. My days normally consisted on employee relations stuff like sickness, disciplinaries etc. All very valuable to get a grounding in early on.

Hours studying per week varies, we study long distance so have two uni days every module (8 modules) and an assignment usually two months later. The idea is to spend an average of an hour per day to get a good grounding on the topic. Some start their assignments the week before the deadline and some start early so have less to do in any given day.

Biggest challenges I would say is getting exposure to everything you want/need to in a placement. This doesn't mean it's difficult rather just that its so important you do as much as physically possible with it being a fast track scheme. You're expected to work hard but I'm sure that's stating the obvious.

The most rewarding for me is seeing things that I have done have an impact on a daily basis. For example, I did some work with a particular ward who had high sickness levels and over the course of the next few months the levels dramatically declined and staff were all happier.

Hope that helps! And good luck with your application!

Emma L.
on 18/05/2016
Emma L.

Thanks Tom! I'm actually applying for HR too so it's good to hear things put into context.

I'll probably be back in touch soon with more questions - I live in Australia so the time difference isn't the easiest thing to work with.

Have a great day!

Add to this thread

NHS

Whatever your future leadership ambitions are, the NHS offers a fantastic start with a variety of challenging placements in an organisation that is wholeheartedly determined to provide equal opportunities to all employees. Selection for the scheme is based solely on aptitude and ability to ensure we have the best leaders for the NHS.

Visit website