Anon user
“ As someone with a keen desire to be in HR but not much HR experience, how can I set myself apart and display my passion? ”

Anon user (#194112) asked a question in topic Application Advice
to Taylor P. NHS Graduate Management Trainee - HR, NHS

on 05/08/2017
I am keenly interested in the NHS and passionate about the service and people. I just want to be able to best show this despite feeling at a disadvantage when it comes to having truly relevant experience. Thanks!
on 06/08/2017
NHS Graduate Management Trainee - HR, NHS

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about experience - I think only 2 trainees in my year came from a HR background. The vast majority of us were brand new to HR when we started! You are interviewed and assessed on your values and behaviours, not necessarily your technical expertise.

In terms of setting yourself apart, you've already covered it by being "passionate about the service and people". During your interviews and AC, you will need to clearly communicate this through what you say, and what you do.

I'd suggest having a look at the trainee blogs and Twitter, to get a feel for the scheme. Then look at the leadership model, and assess how this aligns with yourself. Although it's not necessary, I would suggest doing some reading to prepare yourself too - such as the 5 Year Forward View and publications by The Kings Fund. These will be good to ground an understanding of the NHS, but not something you will be formally marked against - direct your focus on WHY the NHS.

Hope this helped!

I'm happy to be approached directly on Twitter if you have further Qs - taylorcpf.

T.

on 06/08/2017
NHS Graduate Management Trainee - HR, NHS

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about experience - I think only 2 trainees in my year came from a HR background. The vast majority of us were brand new to HR when we started! You are interviewed and assessed on your values and behaviours, not necessarily your technical expertise.

In terms of setting yourself apart, you've already covered it by being "passionate about the service and people". During your interviews and AC, you will need to clearly communicate this through what you say, and what you do.

I'd suggest having a look at the trainee blogs and Twitter, to get a feel for the scheme. Then look at the leadership model, and assess how this aligns with yourself. Although it's not necessary, I would suggest doing some reading to prepare yourself too - such as the 5 Year Forward View and publications by The Kings Fund. These will be good to ground an understanding of the NHS, but not something you will be formally marked against - direct your focus on WHY the NHS.

Hope this helped!

I'm happy to be approached directly on Twitter if you have further Qs - taylorcpf.

T.

Add to this thread

NHS

Whatever your future leadership ambitions are, the NHS offers a fantastic start with a variety of challenging placements in an organisation that is wholeheartedly determined to provide equal opportunities to all employees. Selection for the scheme is based solely on aptitude and ability to ensure we have the best leaders for the NHS.

Visit website