“ Considering a career change... ”

Maria C. asked a question in topic Career Choices
to Tom L. Staff Nurse (Bank), Rotherham Doncaster & South Humber Foundation Trust

28/09/2013
Hi Tom,

I have just qualified as a Midwife, but I'm still not 100% sure if that's a career I want to pursue for various reasons. Do you think you might be able to suggest an area of the NHS Graduate Scheme which may be best suited to the talents/ skill base I developed during the course of my Midwifery training?

Many thanks & best wishes,

Maria
08/10/2013
NHS Graduate Management Trainee - Finance, NHS

Hi Maria,

I saw your message and thought I would send you a quick reply; I?m sure Tom won?t mind! I started the Scheme in September having recently qualified as a Nurse, so can hopefully give you a bit of insight. I think that whatever branch you choose, your skills and experiences would be invaluable. They probably lend themselves most obviously to the General branch of the Scheme; in the sense that your placements are much more likely to be in operational/clinical environments that you are more familiar with. But, that said, I personally have chosen the Finance branch of the Scheme, because I enjoy problem solving and working with facts and figures. So I would say simply go for whatever branch of the Scheme you have the greatest interest in, or would best enable you to develop your career in the direction that you want. On any branch you will have interaction with clinical staff and issues, so the empathy and understanding you have will be very useful.

I hope that helps a little? Good luck with your application if you choose to apply!
Karen

NHS

Whatever your future leadership ambitions are, the NHS offers a fantastic start with a variety of challenging placements in an organisation that is wholeheartedly determined to provide equal opportunities to all employees. Selection for the scheme is based solely on aptitude and ability to ensure we have the best leaders for the NHS.

Visit website