“ Hi Freya, I'm doing lots of research on the NHS and don't want to just rely on the news. Do you have any suggestions? ”

Ryan B. asked a question in topic General
to Any General Management Insiders

23/11/2018
I'm particularly interested in any websites/resources and policy documents etc. that you think would be useful for someone applying for General Management in order to get an understanding of the organisation, role and challenges faced. Any information you can offer is much appreciated.
23/11/2018

On our website there are blogs by our trainees which should help & we’ve listed a couple of useful ones below

www.nhsgraduates.co.uk/connect/blogs/201… 

www.nhsgraduates.co.uk/connect/blogs/201… 

25/11/2018
Graduate Management Trainee, NHS Leadership Academy

Hi Ross,

It's great to hear that you are doing some research!

In preparation for the interview-stage of the application process, I'd recommend that you familiarise yourself with the Healthcare Leadership Model. It will be helpful to think about how you can demonstrate behaviours associated with the nine dimensions of Healthcare Leadership (as mentioned in the model).

www.leadershipacademy.nhs.uk/resources/h… 

I'd also recommend keeping up-to-date with current opportunities/ challenges faced by the NHS. You can do this by following the news (as you mentioned already), but you might also find it useful to follow hospitals/trusts in your preferred region on social media.

I'd also recommend reading up on the 10-year plan, which outlines some of the NHS's key priorities over the next 10 years. It's useful to have a good understand of this, and what it means in terms of the future of the NHS.

www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/nhs-10… 

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Good luck with your application,

Freya

25/11/2018
Nima R.

Hiya :)

Freya's advice is great, and just to add:

The King's Fund presents complex information in a really accessible and interesting way, I'd recommend starting with this one if you haven't already seen it:
www.kingsfund.org.uk/audio-video/how-doe… 

You can also sign up to receive weekly updates here: www.kingsfund.org.uk/emails 

Then there's other healthcare journals which are more detailed than generic news, such as the BMJ and HSJ. You can register for a free HSJ account and and get some essential email newsletters, as well as a 4-week trial of more analytical pieces: www.hsj.co.uk/ 

There's also some really good free online courses you could sign up to. I recently did a 4 week course explaining the NHS (covering its structure, how parts fit together, funding, performance, key challenges, future changes etc.) by the King's Fund and run on FutureLearn: www.futurelearn.com/courses/the-nhs-expl… 

I'd also really recommend using social networks (especially Twitter and Snapchat) to improve your understanding of what working in the NHS is like on a day-to-day basis, and I talk about this more here: www.nhsgraduates.co.uk/connect/blogs/201… 

Hope this helps, best of luck :)

Nima

28/11/2018
Ryan B.

Thank you, very much appreciated

Add to this thread

NHS

Whatever your future leadership ambitions are, the NHS offers a fantastic start with a variety of challenging placements in an organisation that is wholeheartedly determined to provide equal opportunities to all employees. Selection for the scheme is based solely on aptitude and ability to ensure we have the best leaders for the NHS.

Visit website