“ What might you get up to during a typical week on the health informatics scheme? ”

Jackie M. asked a question in topic Life at the Company
to Alexandra S. NHS Health Informatics Graduate Management Trainee, NHS

29/11/2018
29/11/2018

One of the best ways to see this is to read the trainee blogs
www.nhsgraduates.co.uk/connect/blogs/ 

And to follow us on SnapChat (nhsgradscheme) as our trainees share their experiences www.snapchat.com/add/nhsgradscheme 

29/11/2018
Laura Jane M.

This obviously comes with the caveat that everyone's placements and organisations are different. My placements were both in analytical-type roles; for my first I was a performance analyst in a community provider and my second I was a business informatics analyst at an acute trust.
My typical day would have played out like this:
Arrive for around 8.30am - 8.45am
Check emails and diary for the day ahead
Complete any regular reporting tasks (e.g. national returns, internal reporting)
Meet with service leads/managers to discuss ongoing KPI and reporting requirements
Complete any ad hoc tasks which are outstanding

In addition whilst I was on the scheme I took the most of any opportunities to go and see services in action and attend various meetings and groups so I'd have spent time organising this if I had a bit of spare time.

Please feel free to get in touch on Twitter (@nhsgrads_HI) if I can help any more.

29/11/2018
Terrie-Marie S.

I've had quite varied weeks in my 1st couple of months since orientation ranging from weeks in the office learning how to use power BI and SQL server to being in meetings most of the week which can be anything from board meetings, strategy meeting, project meetings etc.

29/11/2018
Alexandra S.

As said above, it's very dependent on placement! When I was at an acute provider, my days were usually 9:30-5:30, and usually involved working on ad hoc projects - creating new dashboards for service managers, pulling information to respond to FOI requests, benchmarking our hospital's services, forecasting future activity, or any number of other things. But, it was mainly being sat in front of spreadsheets/databases about 80% of the time. In my current role, at an arm's length body, I typically work 8-4, and my job involves looking at data from across England, going out to providers and presenting to trust boards, helping to run training sessions for hospital analysts, etc. - much more about helping to implement best practice nationwide as opposed to analysing data at a local level. Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to tweet/DM me @alexandrastrks.

NHS

Whatever your future leadership ambitions are, the NHS offers a fantastic start with a variety of challenging placements in an organisation that is wholeheartedly determined to provide equal opportunities to all employees. Selection for the scheme is based solely on aptitude and ability to ensure we have the best leaders for the NHS.

Visit website